Anesthesiologists charges-How do you calculate it?

Started by Dr.Madhav, July 28, 2006, 04:11:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you charge anesthesiologists charges?

percentage of Surgeon's charges?
4 (50%)
point wise charges?
2 (25%)
fixed charges?
0 (0%)
Variable on the patient's paying capacity?
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Dr.Madhav

Hello everybody,
I am a consultant anesthesiologist practising in the metropolis city Mumbai in India.We have a very funny system of anesthesiologist's charges.The surgeon fixes the anesthesia charges and we usually get anywhere between 15-20-30-33% of the surgeon's charges.Many of our own colleagues resort to the practice of Undercutting their anesthesia fees to survive in this terrible rat race to earn some paltry sum of money.
I would like to know the state of affairs in other parts of the world.

yogenbhatt1

Hi,Madhav,
If you attend any of the CMEs organised by the teaching institutions, you will see what I see. There are Resident doctors who are regestered for MD, DA, DA-CPS, and DNB.
This is a big number of residents. The institutions , to solve their problems of working doctors keep creating more and more Anaesthesiologists. They need this docrtors in OT, Recovery wards, Trauma ICCU, and ICU. Every other hospital is now advertising for posts of DNB.
These doctors will soon come in private practice.
The demand supply ratio in this town has already tripped. It will grossly trip when more come in this market. A time will come when the it will be impossible to compete in this, what you call rat race. We are hitting a hammer on our own feet. We are in for deeper trouble.
To compete there will be economising, in drugs, materials and quality.
In short , to survive, maintain the quality and you will be respected the best.
This can be a very long discussion. And I do not think that it will be discussed in any conference.