fever and rash with propofol?

Started by dramitshah, July 09, 2007, 04:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dramitshah

recently us FDA alerted for fever and chills after diprivan , i have encountered such fever and rash on face after 3-6 hrs of general anesthesia for laproscopy surgery where maintenance of anesthesia was done by iv propofol infusion with o2 + n20.

i have used different brands of propofol for all this patients and such reactions have happened not in all patients but only few of them who received propofol as iv anesthetic agent apart from other agents for premedication to reversal of anesthesia.

does any else have also experienced such reactions other  than diprivan users as alert by us FDA
i am practising anesthesiologist from  Gujarat, India.

yogenbhatt1

Hi Amit,
Glad to see your note.
     Though I have not seen a simillar picture, one of my Anaesthetist group member was admitted to ICCU post MTP, for ARDS. The anaesthetist and the ICU ppl were thinking that it was due to Propofol used for MTP. She recovered very fast, and was off the venti in 2 days, may be due to her young age.
     Atleast, let ppl know that they should not get tempted into using  left over Propofol for next patient, specially the ones available in Ampuole form. I have seen even very senior anaesthesiologists do that.