Rocuronium - priming technique?

Started by jafo1964, April 11, 2007, 10:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jafo1964

Our experience with intubation with 0.6mg/kg of rocuronium for intubation offers only acceptable intubation conditions at 60 secs. This is surely inferior to intubating conditions offered by suxamethonium in the same time frame.
Roc 0.9mg/kg offers excellent intubation conditions, but undesirably prolongs the duration of action to more than 50 minutes making it an almost long acting relaxant
I am wondering if priming with 1/10th the intubating dose (0.05mg/kg) of roc given 2-3 mins before the intubating dose will improve intubating conditions at 60 secs.
Wonder if there is any literature or references available
Thanks for the help

frontier

hi,
  priming definitely reduces the intubation onset time.for your delight i wanted to attatch the PUBMED file ,but couldn't succeed.just go through the pubmed article by GRIFFITH KE.,JOSHI GP,WHITMAN PF,GARG SA,deptt. of anaesthesiology & pain management,university of TEXAS,southwestern medical center at DALLAS,75235-9068,USA;I.J.CLIN ANAESH.1997;MAY9(3);204-7.even you will be surprised use of ephedrine before induction also reduces intubation onset time.with regards

drmohank

any experiences in rocuronium injection pain / withdrawal movements?

jafo1964

Pain on injection occurs but is not too frequent.
I think propofol causes more problems with pain
I am not convinced that Rocuronium is cardiostable upto 5x ED 95 (product insert)
At 3 xED95 you definitely see tachycardia