The end of Anesthesiology in the US?

Started by orangele, July 19, 2009, 06:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangele

I am amazed that I am not finding alot of discussion about the effect of Healthcare reform on the profession of Anesthesiology.    Under the current proposal based on the payment of Medicare reimbursement to physicians, anesthesiologists will be reimbursed at around 30% of private insurance rates.  Further, Mr. Orzak, Mr Obamas budget director stated that future legislation will include a further across the board 20% cut in physician reimbursements.  Further, don't expect that hospitals or private insurance to prop up reimbursements, since the public option paying medicare rates will quickly force private insurers and hospitals to drop their payments to Anesthesiologists to stay in business. 

I do not think the profession of anesthesiology can survive a 60% cut in payments.  Anesthesiology residencies cannot afford to operate, and virtually all anesthesia will be provided by CRNAs.   However even CRNA training programs will be squeezed by such drastic drops in reimbursements. 

Personally, I am so frustrated with what is happening that I will probably retire shortly after any such changes occur, and I will stop being a producer, and try to live off the government as much as possible.  What is the motivation anymore to work?  I may do free care in medical missions.