Are spinals done in the holding room safe?

Started by dalton, May 25, 2008, 09:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dalton

To save time, our orthopods want us to do spinals outside of the operating room for our total joints.  If we monitor patients and offer continuous care while performing a standard hyperbaric spinal in the preoperative area (or build new induction rooms), would you think we were unsafe?

yogenbhatt1

We too give our spinals at times out side the OT. Other regionals are bertter given outside, specially an epidural, or a plexus block. It really does take time. Also it is more peaceful over there. No one to disturb or bother you.
As far as safety is concerned, we are there to monitor and treat when needed.
I think it is rational to give it outside to save on time.

Dr.Madhav

hello everybody,
regarding doing a spinal/epidural/nerve block outside the operating room,in mumbai where is the space for an extra room?The nursing homes are congested,ill equipped and is it medico-legally safe to do this?

jafo1964

If sterility can be assured and monitoring can be guaranteed I guess it can be done.
Also one needs to rememeber that during transport to OT, alterations in position may add to the hypotension. This needs to be aggressively monitored and treated.
For a recent urology workshop we did the SAB in the adjacent OT had the patient stabilized and just wheeled him in to the OT where the set up was made. It really reduced turnover times
Those are my thoughts

regs

anaesami

giving a spinal in the holding room is safe provided pt is intensely monitored ;
i am told it is a routine practice in all western countries. because we have too
too many patients, generally we give it on the operation table so that loss of time
to transport is avoided.

sandiphari

WE TOO GIVE  SA/EA/BB IN ADJACENT  ROOM WITH MONITORRING .HARDELY IT TAKE 1-2 MIN. TO TRANSPORT THE PT.