Suxamethonium allergy in an anaesthetist

Started by drstitch, November 10, 2008, 10:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drstitch

I am an anaesthetic registrar in my final year of training.
Last week I had an allergic reaction in theatre after drawing up some drugs - my face went red and itchy, my lips and tongue swelled up and my throat felt it was constricting and I had difficulty breathing. Thankfully it settled on it's own without the need for adrenaline.
Yesterday I had intradermal allergy testing and I was strongly positive to suxamethonium. Within seconds of injection my arm was itchy, and then soon my face went hot and itchy, my BP dropped to 75/- and my SpO2 dropped to low 90's.
I have never been given suxamethonium intravenously under anaesthesia and so the only exposure I have had is from working as an anaesthetist.
This has huge ramifications on my career as an anaesthetist, especially considering that I am so severely sensitive.
I am wondering if anyone else is aware of an anaesthetist having this problem and how it was dealt with.
Thanks.

yogenbhatt1

Lucky You are,
Now you can boast that you never use a drug like sux in your life time, only roc and above. See it that way.
Point is that you found it accedentally, but what about a patient who gets some reaction and we never come to know what ever did caused it? WE use nearly 20 things for induction including sticking plaster and Lignox jelly.
God save us from an unknown reaction.

frontier

hi,
that's really a very rare thing/anyway we have other relaxants like rocuronium,vec etc/hopefully you shouldn't be allergic to these/use them/be cautious/regards

drstitch

I have now had further tests. These indicate that I am also anaphylactic to rocuronium, vecuronium and pancuronium! Atracurium is safe though! Has anyone heard of this happening to an anaesthetist before?

frontier

sir,
this is really a new & rare thing to me.i would like to have inputs from others.
                                 regards.take care

drstitch

Yes...it seems to be very rare. I have been OK since I have been careful!