Clonidine HCL (Catapres) IV For Cataract Surgery Sedation

Started by nupe4sleep, May 07, 2011, 04:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nupe4sleep

I've read in the literature about using Clonidine IV for sedation. Specifically with cataract surgery. Supposedly it offers adequate sedation yet the patient can still follow commands. We would like to try this at our ASC however thus far we have only been able to find the epidural preparation (Duraclon)100mcg/ml. I'm aware of all of the potential side effects (hypotension and bradycardia etc.) however would it be safe to use the epidural preparation IV if I use a VERY LOW DOSE, ie. .5mcg/kg? Of course, I would only use this technique with cardiac stable patients. I realize this would be an "off label" use of this drug but I was wondering if anyone had any experience or opinions on this topic. Thanks in advance.

Tony Graham, CRNA

sandiphari

NOW DAYS SURG. OPERATE UNDER TOPICAL ANAES. ,IF YOU GIVE IV CLONIDINE CHANCES OF SEVER BRADY BECAUSE OF OCULO-CARDIAC REFLEX.ALREADY GEREATICS PTS. ARE ON BRADY SIDE AND THEY SHOULD WALK IMMED. AFTER OPER. ALL THIS FACTORS ARE AGAINST CLONIDINE.

nupe4sleep

iisan

I think that a local anesthesia with Lidocaine is largely sufficient. Using any other drug to unnecessary sedate a patient who already presents fragile cardiac function is dangerous I think. However, if the patient is anxious and can't hold still while the surgeon is operating Clonidine IV might be a good option. (Sorry for my poor English :-( )