Pump for labor epidurals

Started by gshopper, November 07, 2005, 03:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gshopper

I am trying to replace our current epidural pumps on labor and delivery.  Our current ones are inadequate.  The one I'm looking for should do the following:

have a capacity of at least 100cc.
be able to infuse against the resistance of an epidural catheter.
do PCEA and basal infusions concurrently,
be easy to use.

I would appreciate your experience and comments.

Thanks in advance

Glenn

mountain man

We have had good luck with the Baxter "I pump" PCEA as long as it is treated properly by the staff.   (Pump cassette door can break easily.)

mandeepgoma

we have been using B'Braun pumps for the purpose of post operative analgesia for last 4 years or so.
the pumps that we use have a capacity of 125ml and have a fixed output rate of around 5ml per hour.
we make a concentration of 0.125% bupivacaine ( 30ml bupivacaine 0.5% + 90ml saline ) with 3mg of butorphanol added to it.
the concentration of bupivacaine can be titrated depending on the pain.
we don't use pumps for labour. The dose is titrated according to the response.

Dr. Mandeep Goma
Goma Niwas
Chakkar, Shimla - 5,
HP, India
+91-94180-03155

yogenbhatt1

color=blue]Normally by default our group of Anaesthesiologists are supposed to use NS in LOR syringe. We have a group of 12 Anaesthesiologists.
But in an elderly or poorly nourished patients, who are very thin or all calcified ligaments, it is easy to get false give way sensations. At times saline also flows freely and catheter also goes in. Epidural does not act because it is no where near epidural space. It has entered a false pocket created by us.
Here we use a sterile I V set connected to NS bottle. Only when the NS  flows freely we accept it as a right placement of catheter.
It is very reliable in this kind of patients.
Try it out in your next case to succeed in a next bad patient, where an epidural has to act.
[/color][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]