Dental Anaesthesia

Started by AMacDonald, February 11, 2007, 04:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AMacDonald

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to ask but I'm a patient looking for some answers about anaesthesia done during dental work.

I have an extremely sensitive gag reflex so in order to get fillings completed, my dentist enlisted the services of an anaesthesiologist who was going to administer deep sedation through an IV.

Apparently, once I was under sedation and asleep, they were able to complete about 4 xrays but they said I started gagging up bile, so they stopped work. They suctioned me to prevent fluid being aspirated into my lungs and as a safety precaution, called an ambulance to take me to an ER.  I was completely unaware of anything that was happening until I woke up on a stretcher.

The anaesthesiologist says that I have the strongest gag reflex he's ever seen and his suggestion is that for dental work, I should probably have it done in hospital under general anaesthesia with a breathing tube inserted.

My question is, I don't quite understand how I can be basically asleep and still have a gag reflex that strong.   Is this something to do with the type of anaesthesia used?  And has anyone experienced this kind of situation with a patient?

Thanks in advance.

kumar

it is not unusual.

its correct to do under GA, if u have strong gag reflex.

Deep sedation does not prevent gag reflex. its true.

preeti

Mr.MacDonald,take it this way.Would it be impossible for you to sneeze if somebody tickled the insides of your nose with a cotton wisp just b'coz you are asleep.

Deep sedation obtunds the reflexes and usually suffices,but not always,as in your case.

There are other ways too to get it done apart from GA but then it would depend on the expertise and comfort of the anesthesiologist in providing regional anesthesia as it would on the setting where you want the dental work to be done and how desperate you are to avoid a general anesthetic.

Without any intention to complicate matters for you,I must admit that most anesthesiologists would prefer to get it done under GA.

All the best for your treatment.

gassleep

Hi,I have a problem regarding Dental Anaesthesia,years ago the Anesthetist would put me to sleep with a black rubber face mask using nitrous oxide and I think a solvent called halothane.I had this a few times and felt really relaxed going to sleep this way.Now all I am being offered is sedation via pills.I really want to be put to sleep with the Gas as this was the only way I felt my dentistry could be carried out due to anxiety and gag reflex.I am a healthy 35yr old male,and as my dentist said they only give Gas in hospitals 1st to children.I could have Iv induced sleep and then Gas.But surely that would defeat the object with my fear being Iv(Injections).Do any Anaesthetists know of a good dental surgeon that would allow me to have Gas sleep for my dental surgery requirements.Im due for an extraction soon,but tend to be leaving this due to fear of Iv.I recently found a good gasman who put me to sleep with gas induction but this again had to be done in the hospital day clinic .I think the Gas they used was N20,02 and sevflurane?Not too sure?But was very quick with clear plastic mask.Still prefer to just have gas in dentist chair.