Miller vs. Barash?

Started by soorg, June 16, 2006, 12:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soorg

As a 1st year resident, which book do people recommend as being better for the boards? I'm not crazy about either one, but some of my attendings are telling me to read one book, while some recommend the other one, leading me to pull my hair out...

gasman

Miller is like an encyclopedia - great for refering to an obscure problem, but does not make for easy reading.

Barash is not as comprehensive, but much easier to read. I used it and recommend it, understanding that occassionally you will need to look at other sources.

A very good introductory book is the Oxford Handbook - quite comprehensive and very practical.

cheers
Rob

PS please invite your friends to this site - I am happy to have general topic discussion occur here.

soorg

But it seems that Barash has some info missing. I actually think Miller is easier to read, although it is much longer. Couldn't I just selectively read Miller instead of all of Barash?

gasman

No doubt that Miller has more info than Barash, and if you find it easy to read, then go with it.

I personally found Barash was more succinct, and easier to read. Yes, I did have to use other sources to look up some more obscure topics, but I think if you know everything in Barash, you will get through.

cmulyg

I think there is not one book that is enough.Every writer has his special readers  from he started a new book.For example,when we prepare to bronchial nerve block,the major of those books is near,but the exact operation is different, maybe is little,but it can decide the last result.
I think the best solution is RE-Reading all related book, from Anatomy, Physiology, Pathophysiology, Pharmoclogy,etc,at last to our professional issues,so we can contact all the related parts about we need know.
Sorry for my weak English.